Depression and Anxiety Expert
Treating Depression and Anxiety is my expertise and passion. It is important work because such great suffering occurs from these conditions. To this end, I apply the latest diagnostic tests, treatments and psychotherapies. Being a researcher, I apply a critical eye to treatments and treatment processes because I believe that will drive better outcomes.
But it does not end there. I use the Collaborative Care Psychiatry model to improve both psychological AND physical wellbeing. Here are three reasons why:
- When you are feeling down, your physical health also suffers
- When you are physically sick it can be hard to cope emotionally
- Depression is as strong a risk factor as smoking for the development of heart disease
So psychological and physical health are closely intertwined. Here is another example. You will notice that I sit on a yoga ball rather than a chair. This is because
- Occupations where you sit all day are associated with chronic lower back pain
- Chronic low back pain is linked to depression, heart attacks, strokes and sick days
Depression and anxiety are intrinsically linked to the health of our relationships. A large part the therapy work involves improving relationship happiness. You will not be surprised to learn that the divorce can also ruin your physical health so I help people think about how they can find more meaning and joy in their relationships.
Finally, another unique skill that I have is helping cancer patients, survivors and their families. I worked in psycho-oncology at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, the top cancer center in the nation for a decade. Because one in three of us will develop cancer in our lifetimes, and most will become survivors, it is important to figure out how to navigate and beat cancer. So many people consult me in this regard.
Double board certified in Adult Psychiatry and Consultation Liaison Psychiatry
- This training background makes me an expert on overcoming medical challenges such as cancer and collaborative care.